Read Write Inc
At Race Leys Infant School we are passionate about reading and writing. We use Read Write Inc as our phonics scheme. All children have a daily phonics scheme where they work in small groups at a level suited to their ability. All staff are trained to teach Read Write Inc and regularly receive update training.
When using RWI to read the children will:
* learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
* learn to read words using Fred Talk
* read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
* show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
* learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
* learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
* write simple sentences
We believe it is imperative that our children can access the sounds in their reading book so all children will bring home a Read Write Inc scheme ‘Book bag’ book. This is a phonetically decodable reading book that follows the same sounds as their Read Write Inc group. They will read this book, both at school and at home. The children will also bring home a ‘Sharing book’. This is a book to be enjoyed with an adult and we recognise the children will need help to read this. We use a range of reading schemes for this book, all of which are phonetically decodable, including Floppy’s Phonics, Songbirds, Comics for Phonics, Bug Club, Phonics Bug, Collins Big Cat Phonics.
At our reading meeting before half term, parents asked for book recommendations. This website is a great source of information for anyone looking for ideas on different stories to read with their child. Click the button below an it will take you straight to the booktrust website.